Sunday, August 10, 2008

Parent-child relationships

What is your duty to your parents? In India, the eldest male child is always held responsible for taking care of his parents in their old-age. We know that it has changed now, at least the way the current generation thinks has changed. Why can't the daughter also be equally responsible? But our parents are from the previous generation. No matter how much they coax us to go and lead wonderful lives without them, in their heart they always want to be around their kids. I remember being offended by my dad's comment a long time ago (I was still in college then and my elder bro was in the US) when he had said "I have my son who would look after me". What about me Dad? Your daughter?? I'd thought and felt hurt. It was a long time ago and my Dad is always forgiven. My mom fell sick a couple of years back. I was working in the US then. Our parents have brought us up with a lot of love and care, and I'm sure they have sacrificed a lot to give us the best. I went to my Boss to tell him that I want to quit my job. My boss (an Indian guy) asked me " Aren't there any relatives in India who can take care of your mom?" I was stunned. Had he just asked me THAT?? I stared at him for a moment and then said "There are RELATIVES, but she is MY mom and I want to be there for her". So he smiled and said "Oh, my mom too is sick for the past several years. But I have my kids studying here, so I can't go. We have relatives out there to take care of her". whatever! I don't really care about what kind of a relationship my boss shares with his parents. But I started wondering. Once we get married, its said that a person has added responsibilities, but I did not know that they are supposed to 'Change'. Does your priority become your kids/wife/husband? Is it okay to let your parents be on their own especially if they are sick?
Sometimes even if we want to be with them, its not always possible. Well, anything is POSSIBLE if we really want to do it, but we need to make sacrifices and compromises. Are we ready to do that? We might do that for our kids then why not for our parents? Aren't they the ones who took care of us till we were independent and stable in life? Aren't we what we are today because of them? Then why do they take a back-seat? Have our responsibilities shifted?
After my mom recovered, she said to me one day, "I did not know that my kids love me so much". Really? You doubted the extent of our love for you? How could you?!! I said "Frankly Ma, you both have given us so much love that we could not reciprocate with any less".
But I know in my heart that I could have done more. But I couldn't. Nothing is impossible but sometimes we make it. For reasons that we know in our heart but refuse to admit.
I have a little daughter now. And I have already started preparing my mind to take a back-seat once she flies out of this nest.

No comments: