Thursday, August 7, 2008

The teacher who hated me

So this is from my school days. I was an extremely naughty kid in school, thats how my teachers still remember me. But I wasn't impolite or rude, I just talked a LOT and ran away to the playground even while the lectures were ON (Yup, I did this in school too). I ofcourse had an accomplice, my best friend. She is still one of my closest friends. Anyways, I also wasn't a pet of any of the teachers because of the same reason. But ofcourse they didn't hate me. On Open Days, my mom got to hear remarks like "Oh, if she talked less then she would score more". I was a little above average student and my interest was only in sports and arts.
Anyways, so there was this Sir- hailed from Bihar/UP side. He was a sports teacher and he taught Hindi as well. For some unknown reason, I always hatred in his eyes for me. He constantly chewed on paan (betel leaf), smoked cigarettes (which he asked the students to go outside the school premises and buy for him) and frankly, I don't think his Hindi was all that good. I played Hockey and was into athletic games like 100/200m running races, long-jump/high jump, relays, shot-put(I was unbeatable in shot-put), throw ball etc. But he always said discouraging words to me. Would always pick on me. Once, during a hindi class, he came over to my desk and asked me to write down my name in Hindi. I did. Then he hit me on the head and said "Khudd ka naam bhi likhna nahi jaanti??" (you don't even know to spell your own name) and just walked away. This was in 8th grade. I called after him "Phir kaise likhte hain Sir?" (Then how do I spell it, Sir?"). Instead of replying to me, he said in an even louder voice, so that the students who had missed the first part, wouldn't miss this "8th Standard main ho, lekin itna hindi bhi nahi aata" (you are in 8th grade but don't know even this level of Hindi). I just kept quiet after that. I was insulted by my professor for absolutely no reason. I asked around in the class if I had spelt my name wrong, but I hadn't. Why had he suddenly asked me to spell my name? Why did he want to insult me in class like this?? I was just 13 years old and he was almost 35 or 40. Why? Why?? Why??? I never understood his hatred.
A couple of years back, a friend from my school informed me that that Sir had passed away. He had lung cancer. I felt NOTHING !

2 comments:

benjamin said...

thanks for the comment, friend! :)
actually, my real site is www.foolosopher-experimental.blogspot.com
the one you went to was an old refuse dum~

on a seperate note, if you're feeling restless/random, and you're not too averse to the theatre, go check out the works of Samuel Beckett! he'll get your mind off things all right.

Priyanka said...

Theatre...hmmm. I'm not the 'going to theatre' kindof person. Anyways, Thanks for the suggestion.